|WalkExplore the Ottawa Valley on foot. This guide offers walking trails through hamlets, towns and...|
|BikeThe Ottawa Valley offers excellent biking opportunities for the beginner and the sports enthusiast....|
|DriveThe following tours, designed for the independent traveller via car or bike, will escort you along...|
|XC SkiThe Ottawa Valley has a variety excellent cross-country trails for various skill levels. This guide...|
|CanoeThe Ottawa Valley offers a variety of interesting paddling excursions with rivers and creeks...|
|WaterfallsWaterfalls, large and thunderous or sleek and elegant, are fascinating natural formations. The...|
|DISTANCE:||12.8 km round trip|
|TRAIL TYPE:||Paved and unpaved country roads and forest trails.|
|DIFFICULTY:||Moderate footing, some steep hills.|
This walk is a 12.8 km long circular route which starts and ends at Wilno Heritage Park, winding its way along country roads and through Renfrew County forests. The trail leads to nearby Shrine Hill Lookout where a historic plaque commemorates the first Polish Settlement in Canada, dating from 1859.
How to get there
Drive 47 km west from Eganville along Hwy 60 to Wilno. Pass on your left, the Shrine Hill Lookout, then the dual spires of St Mary's church, and 1 km further, turn right onto Wilno North Road. A hundred metres along the road on the left-hand side there is space for parking, close to Wilno Heritage Park.
- Continue your way along Wilno North Rd. This is a paved road for approximately 2 km. There is an Ashleaf Maple growing by the left-hand side of the road, with ash-like leaves and a maples' paired keys.
- At the Heritage Cross on the left (one of eight original pioneer crosses, and two modern crosses, found in the area) turn right onto the unpaved Scenic Rd. There are fine views of St. Mary's Church in the distance. After 2km, at the intersection with the sign posted Rozek Rd, turn right onto the snowmobile track.
- Walk along the dirt track through the forest. At the Y junction take the left fork and cross the creek on an old wooden bridge. After crossing the creek, turn left following the arrows. Continue for about 100 metres then turn left and climb a very steep hill. Continue up the steep hill (crossing over the abandoned railway line) until it turns into Hillcrest Avenue. Continue on Hillcrest Avenue until you reach Hwy 60.
- Cross Highway 60. You will see signs for the Shrine Hill Lookout which offer exceptional viewing of the Madawaska and Bonnechere Valleys, including Round and Golden Lakes.
- Follow Hillcrest Avenue until the end and follow the trail through the Renfrew County forest until you reach Lenny Road. Cotinue on Lenny Road until you reach Mountain View Road.
- Turn right onto Mountain View Road and follow until Wilno South Road. Turn right onto Wilno South Road and follow until you are back at the Wilno Heritage Park.
Links of interest
• Wilno Heritage Society