|WalkExplore the Ottawa Valley on foot. This guide offers walking trails through hamlets, towns and...|
|BikeThe Ottawa Valley offers excellent biking opportunities for the beginner and the sports enthusiast....|
|DriveThe following tours, designed for the independent traveller via car or bike, will escort you along...|
|XC SkiThe Ottawa Valley has a variety excellent cross-country trails for various skill levels. This guide...|
|CanoeThe Ottawa Valley offers a variety of interesting paddling excursions with rivers and creeks...|
|WaterfallsWaterfalls, large and thunderous or sleek and elegant, are fascinating natural formations. The...|
Renfrew - Calabogie on the Old KandP
|TOTAL DISTANCE:||55 km|
|START / FINISH:||-Renfrew
-Corner of Hwy 132 and Lochiel St. Park at McDougall Museum on Arthur Ave
|HIGHLIGHTS:||-Kingston and Pembroke Railway Bed
|SURFACE:||-Railway Bed: 23 km
-Gravel: 26 km
-Paved : 6 km
|TIME ALLOWANCE:||-Beginner: 4 hr
-Intermediate: 3.5 hr
-Advanced: 3 hr
The abandoned Kingston to Pembroke (K & P) Railway is a popular recreation trail. This tour travels down to Calabogie along the K & P and returns by some of the small back roads that are abundant in the area. There are some hills on the way back from Calabogie along the roads, so you have the option of returning along the K & P. This is a great day trip and you can easily include lunch and a swim at Calabogie.
- From parking spot, start the tour along the left side of the railway tracks (these are active tracks, so be careful). This short section ranges from rough rocks sections to single track. An alternative route is to ride on Hwy 132 and meet the railway bed at Riverview Dr.
- At 3 km, there is a 0.5km gated section on the railway bed. Be very careful to replace the gate as you found it.
- At 4 km, you will cross Hwy 132; continue on railway trail.
- At 6, 7 and 13 km, the trail will cross roads. These are all routes back to town if you want a shorter ride. There are additional road crossings at 16.7, 18 and 20 km.
- At 22 km, you will cross Hwy 508; continue for 0.3 km and turn right on Lanark Rd. This will take you into the village of Calabogie. There are a number of restaurants and stores in the village.
- After exploring Calabogie, follow Lanark Rd to County Rd 508. Cross 508 onto Murphy Rd and head up the hill.
- At 35 km you will come to a T-intersection. Note the shoe tree on the corner. Turn right and ride for 0.5 km to Y-intersection.
- At Y-intersection turn left up hill and follow narrow winding road for 7 km. This is Grant Rd. At 42 km stay left and ride to the end of road.
- At T-intersection turn right onto Pucker St. Follow this paved road for 2.5 km and turn left on Holmes Rd. Follow this road straight for 5 km.
- At T-intersection turn right on Ferguslea Rd and right again onto Hwy 132. Continue for 3.7 km back to the start of the route.