|WalkExplore the Ottawa Valley on foot. This guide offers walking trails through hamlets, towns and...|
|BikeThe Ottawa Valley offers excellent biking opportunities for the beginner and the sports enthusiast....|
|DriveThe following tours, designed for the independent traveller via car or bike, will escort you along...|
|XC SkiThe Ottawa Valley has a variety excellent cross-country trails for various skill levels. This guide...|
|CanoeThe Ottawa Valley offers a variety of interesting paddling excursions with rivers and creeks...|
|WaterfallsWaterfalls, large and thunderous or sleek and elegant, are fascinating natural formations. The...|
Braeside - Lochwinnoch - Sand Point
|TOTAL DISTANCE:||26 km|
|START / FINISH:||-Braeside
-For a longer ride start in Arnprior
-Agricultural and forest areas
-Sand Point Wharf
|SURFACE:||-Pavement: 22 km
-Gravel: 4 km
|TIME ALLOWANCE:||-Beginner: 2 hr
-Intermediate: 1.5 hr
-Advanced: 45 minutes
This tour offers some excellent views of the Ottawa River and the Province of Quebec. Once you have climbed the hill out of Braeside the ride is along flat gravel and paved roads. The tour travels through Lochwinnoch and Sand Point before returning to Braeside. The small lighthouse at Sand Point is a wonderful stop to watch the river go by.
- For parking, and a great view, from River Rd take Usborne St; half way down the hill toward the river is a large parking lot.
- To start the tour ride back up the hill and cross River Rd onto Usborne St/Renfrew Cty 3. Continue up the hill.
- Follow Usborne St; this will turn into Brae-Loch Rd.
- At 8.7 km Brae-Loch Rd becomes gravel surface for 4 km.
- At 12.5 km turn right at T-intersection onto Lochwinnoch Rd.
- Ride Clifford Sdrd for 3 km; you will go down a steep hill to River Rd.
- At River Rd turn right; it is the paved road.
- Follow River Rd for 10.5 km back to Braeside.
- To see the lighthouse and have a great view of the river at Sand Point take Wharf Rd.