|WalkExplore the Ottawa Valley on foot. This guide offers walking trails through hamlets, towns and...|
|BikeThe Ottawa Valley offers excellent biking opportunities for the beginner and the sports enthusiast....|
|DriveThe following tours, designed for the independent traveller via car or bike, will escort you along...|
|XC SkiThe Ottawa Valley has a variety excellent cross-country trails for various skill levels. This guide...|
|CanoeThe Ottawa Valley offers a variety of interesting paddling excursions with rivers and creeks...|
|WaterfallsWaterfalls, large and thunderous or sleek and elegant, are fascinating natural formations. The...|
Eganville - Douglas
|TOTAL DISTANCE:||32 km|
|START / FINISH:||Park at the visitor information booth on Hwy 60.|
-Bonnechere River and valley views
|SURFACE:||Pavement: 32 km|
|TIME ALLOWANCE:||-Beginner: 2.5 to 3 hr
-Intermediate: 2 hr
-Advanced: 1 to 1.5 hr
This is an easy and scenic bike ride that provides many views of the Bonnechere River. The route passes by the Bonnechere Caves, and allows a visit to the village of Douglas, famous in the valley for their St. Patrick’s Day festivities. There are picnic spots at the Bonnechere Caves and in Douglas.
- From the start, ride east on Queen St toward Hyndford. Queen St becomes the Fourth Chute Rd.
- When you reach the Y-intersection at 8 km turn left; (follow the signs for the Bonnechere Caves); here you will pass over the Bonnechere River at the Fourth Chute.
- The Bonnechere Caves parking area offers a picnic bench, bathroom facilities and water pump for passing cyclists.
- Continue along Fourth Chute Rd for 7 km to Douglas.
- At Douglas turn right on Hwy 60 and ride down the hill and across the Bonnechere River; on the right just before the bridge is a dirt road into a picnic area.
- Turn right at Hyndford Rd, just past the bridge, and continue for 5 km to the four corners at Hyndford.
- Turn right at Hyndford onto the Scotch Bush Rd and head back toward Eganville.
- At 24.2 km you will come back to Y-intersection of Fourth Chute Rd that goes to the Bonnechere Caves; continue straight onto Fourth Chute Rd.
- Retrace your route for 8 km back to Eganville.